The Hartland Historical Society and The Gaylord House Museum, Hartland, Ct.
                              All images and content are the intellectual materials and copyright protected property of The Hartland Historical Society.
                                                                                     All Rights Reserved 2013     Page 3
                                                                                    
Web Design: Creative Solutions
                                                                                                     860-921-3429
Whoever has made a leisurely journey over the area of some 22,300 acres now comprising the town of Hartland must be impressed by the fact that it could never have been chosen by the early settlers as an utopia for agricultural purposes.

The rock-ribbed hillsides offered little incentive to settlement and it taxes our imagination to comprehend how so many farms and homesteads were eventually carved out of the rough terrain and virgin forests. *

One of these farms now known as the Gaylord House, was built by Elias Gilman in 1845. *This house is a tribute to the Greek Revival style and a prominent testimony to American domestic architecture during the interval from 1830-1850 when Greek Revival became the 'National Style'.

In 1854 the house was deeded to Giles Mumford Lawton.  Research carrried out by the Ct. Historical Society and The Hartland Historical Society concerning the house is available
Here.

Giles Lawton deeded the house and land to George Cornish in 1873 and .



son Eliza Cornish deeded it to Edward A. Gaylord in 1891. Edward A. Gaylord was the great grandson of the Rev. Nathaniel Gaylord, the first minister of the West Hartland Congregational Church and  served in that capacity for fifty nine years.

In 1930 Edward Gaylord sold the house to the Metropolitian District Commission in Hartford, Connecticut, with an agreement reserving the right of his  family to live out their natural lives in the house.
Irene Shepherd, grand-daughter of Edward A. Gaylord was the last person to occupy the house and it became vacant prior to 1980.
Bibliography:
*History of Hartland by Stanley Ransom pg.1, Chap. 1 "This Land of Ours"
The Edward Gaylord Family>
Edward, Hattie and Grand-Daughter Irene sitting on the steps of the covered porch once  attached to the Gaylord House. Taken in the late 1800's.  Irene would go on to marry                                             
Hattie and Edward Gaylord with Viola Hamlin   a neighbor.  We think this photo was taken in the early 1900's. 
This Page under Construction